Travel Holidays And France

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  eve 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Gill
    Participant

Hi all

I noticed a posting asking about holiday health insurance. We have gone to France for years now and tend to go 3-4 times a year.

When Stephen first got ill we went with MIA (you can find a link on this site)We then discovered that we already had a general policy that covered us even with mm. I think you have to be free from treatment ie RT, Chemo etc Maintenence drugs are fine.

I remember once that Stephen was ill while away and our local Doctor knew all about mm (and we go to a very, very rural part of France. The doctors are more used to seeing folk who have had their foot stamped on by some sort of livestock:-) Does it show that I am a Londoner?) That cost us £23 which we could have claimed back via the EE agreement but did not bother.

Before we travel we make sure that we have the latest report from Dr S (oncologist) to our GP with an update of Stephen's pp levels, medication etc. (I assume that you all get a copy of this report).

Stephen is spitting mad at the moment because his Velcade treatment means we can't go to France for a few months yet. The nice thing is that his mm holds no more fear for us in France than it does here.

Hope everybody can book some sort of holiday/break C'mon let's have some sunny thoughts Gillxxx

PS language barrier is not too bad. I speak some French (not medical) but doctors, in France, (like most French) are pretty good at English. What is it about the English that makes us so much worse than other nationalities to learn and speak different languages?

eve
    Participant

hi Gill

Thanks for information,will look it up.We travel in a motorhome to France,Spain Portugel,have done all of Europe plus Morocco.This mm has put a stop on are travels for now.We are hoping once Slim gets use to his chemo to travel to France although on treatment,will have to come back every month because of Myeloma Trials.

It is just as easy to travel to France for us,and treatment in France ,we have found to be good for other illnesses.As Slim is in his first round of chemo I was wondering has anybody else managed a holiday,We have At least another three rounds of chemo to go.

It is not knowing how chemo will effect Slim that is more the problem,at the moment no side effects at all,Insurance would give me peace of mind,The driving does not worry me and I know I could get back in 24 hours from France.

Anyway thanks again for info,will look into it.Although weather has been nice,the wind blowers you away here,have never stayed in England for the winter for years,I need some sunshine. regards eve

Perkymite
    Participant

I think the reason we, as a nation, are lousy at languages is that our language is generally accepted as THE [u]world[/u] language.

I am at present researching Insurance for a trip to the Rhine/Moselle area in July. I will post the results

Kindest Regards

David

p.s. For all dog lovers. My sister's dog Chester, a Leonburger, has just won best of class at Cruffs.

admin
    Keymaster

Why can't you travel to france during Velcade cycles, the side effects? The need for injections?

Min
    Participant

Hi Nigel,
    You cannot have velcade until your bloods have been tested for a variety of things. You are therefore pretty much tied to the hospital as its twice a week for 3 weeks at a time. Then 1 week off meds to recover from the previous 3 weeks
    Min

admin
    Keymaster

Hi I take Velcade so have an idea of the constraints. The blood tests you could certainly get done in France and I'm fairly sure you could come to an agreement with the hospital in the area you want to go to have the Velcade administered. The hard part would be setting upbrhe direct billing, but Im daily sure you have the 'right' to do this. It's a question of how determined you are. Whereabouts in France do you want to go?

admin
    Keymaster

Sorry about the typing errors. I'm writing on my phone.

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Gill

When Frank was first dignosed we used MIA for travel insurance. He is not on any treatment and has only had Zometa. Last time we were going we contacted MIA again and tey refused to insure him. They said that they had changed their policy. They were not very forth coming. W were told about Columbus insurance and we got a gret deal from them.

I hope you and Stephen get to France soon (place I always wanted to visit) and that treatment goes well.

Best wishes Jean x

brocho
    Participant

Hi I am sure the french health system is a good one and from what others have said they are well up on treatment of myeloma , but I do think consistency and an element of trust are crucial parts of our treatment It can be difficult if you have to go to another uk hospital during a course of treament , I can imagine the possible problems with an unknown system and language barriers!!When you are on a course of treament such as Velcade you arent always feeling with it and I certainly trust staff who have come to know me and my response to treatment to spot things before I do Hope you get there soon Gill and Stephen .How is the new puppy getting on ? love Bridget x

eve
    Participant

hi Nigel

I agree with you it should be easy to arrange medication between Europe,we know from friends in Holland If they need treatment and it is easier to go to Belgium its no problem.We tried it when Slim needed a hip replacement,2 years wait here,we offered to go to Abbyville in France would have cost NHS 5thousand was refused,they paid 11 thousand for him to have it done private because there was a policy the waiting list down.

I know cancer patients who have taken there medication with them to Portugal and they just find a clinic who are prepared to treat them,works under the health scheme

The problem with France is mainly cost if treatment is needed,the forms for claiming everything back,and the cost of medicines.In Spain it is a lot easier.

You have to have a good doctor most of them do not want to get involved in fighting the grey men in grey suits.
    This is why insurance might be the way forward,If I can find one that is cost wise reasonable.Did someone say we are Europeans now !!!!! It just seems to me its a rip off.

admin
    Keymaster

This is very interesting. Could you clarify in what way it is easier to get treatment and reimbursement in Spain than in France ? Would a European Health Insurance Card help?

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559

In fact on reading that I discover it wouldn't help as the EHC doesn't cover planned care only emergency care. As far as I know the cross border health care directive got through the council late last year (finally overcoming the resistance of the UK) and this should change things.

However planned medical treament is allowed as well:

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=569&langId=en

and this is the link to the NHS site :

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/plannedtreatment/Pages/Introduction.aspx

On a practical level, wherabouts in France did you want to go ?

I manage to take short (1 week) holidays between Velcade cycles … Though I tend to stay 'close to home' or rather close to care structures.

Keep us informed as to how you get on.

All the best.

Nigel

admin
    Keymaster

Gill
    Participant

Hi Nigel

We tend to go to France for about 3-4 weeks at a time. We go to the Creuse (a very long journey) and feel that it is not practical to go while Stephen is on Velcade. I realise that it is probably different for you as you live in France I believe.

Regards Gill

PS to Bridget we no longer have a "puppy" she is known as the poo-pee I am sure you can guess why;-)

Min
    Participant

Hi Gill
    One of my girls I was trying to call her by her sex….. Bit*h and it was deemed inappropriate language!lol was a devil to house train and I do sympathise, now the weather is getting better at least you will be able to leave the door open for her!
    MIn

Gill
    Participant

Thanks for the tip about the health insurance Jean. We are hoping we will still be covered by our exisiting long term insurance policy. It was annoying to pay for MIA and then find we were already covered. Talk about over egging the pudding. Never mind it did mean peace of mind.

By the time Stephen's Velcade stint is drawing to the end Anya "new pup" will be inoculated, rabies protected and ready to go.

Heaven help us taking 2 monstors half way across France!!Gill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Travel Holidays And France’ is closed to new replies.