Travel Insurance

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  otto 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

northumberlandces
    Participant

Hi everyone
    I have been so grateful to read lots of questions, experiences and concerns over the year since my husband was first diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma.
    He had a SCT at the end of January and really has done very well. He has not had any side effects to speak of, just the fatigue we knew was inevitable. He starts on his maintenance chemo lenalidomide tomorrow.
    So now we are looking to go abroad – probably September when we are confident he is coping with the new drug, but I am very mindful of the need for travel insurance. Should say Ces is Spanish and that is likely to be our first trip. I’ve done some research, but would be much happier if one of you lovely people could share your experiences (good and bad) to help me decide who I should talk to.
    Many thanks.
    Jan (the wife)

mulberry
    Participant

It good that you’ve got a holiday to look forward to after SCT.
    I got travel insurance from staysure (I think I’ve used them each time I’ve been away since diagnosis) & it was relatively straightforward after SCT to obtain it.
    Before I went away I looked up addresses for local hospitals just in case and wrote out my diagnosis in the appropriate language. I was given antibiotics by my consultant, just in case, although I never needed to use them.
    Even before COVID I used antibacterial wipes on surfaces in planes, restaurants etc .I took my maintenance drugs in their original packaging in my hand luggage just in case of queries going through customs, or my suitcase going missing.
    I am looking forward to going on holiday again too- a time to put myeloma cells on the back burner for a few weeks.
    Enjoy looking forward to your time away.

northumberlandces
    Participant

Hi Mulberry
    Thank you so much for your response – so helpful! I will print off your great advice and use it when we make our trips.
    Stay well

gcoulter
    Participant

Hi

I found Allclear to be very competitive. Got a policy for under £200, for worldwide cover and we have been making the most of our post covid freedom, averaging a holiday a month 🙂

Good luck and enjoy your travels.

Graham

ree2112
    Participant

Sorry for late input.
    I’m the one in our family with MM and we’re travelling to the South of France in our motorhome.
    I got our travel insurance with Staysure. We’ve used them in the past numerous times as my hubby has type 1 diabetes and they cover illness. Because of my MM being in remission, no SCT (but that’s another story) we could only get a single trip cover and it was almost £260 which I didn’t think was too bad.
    Have a good holiday.

tony642

Hi there,

I have just started travelling abroad, and I agree that Staysure were the cheapest company to go with, and although I have not made a claim, they seem a very good company to deal with.

My wife has heart issues and I have Myeloma in remission, but we were able to get cruise cover for the Med (including helicopter evacuation from the ship if necessary) for both of us for about £140 for a week.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Tony

worksopian
    Participant

Hi

I’ve just had a quote for worldwide including cruising on an annual policy for £1350. I am in remission takin Lenalidomide for maintenance. I thought this rather expensive.

Regards
    Ian

tony642

Hi northumberlandces,

I have just had cruise insurance for a week for myself and my wife with Staysure insurance. I have heard from a lot of people who have had good deals from them. They seem to be Myeloma friendly.

I am in remission and my wife has heart problems, but they covered us for a week for both of us for £135! It might be worth trying them as I agree that the quote you have been given does seem very high. let us know how you get on so that we can advise other people in similar circumstances.

Regards, Tony

otto
    Participant

Hi,

I know I’m a bit late to this but check out http://www.insurancewith.com…

I was quoted £120 for a years world wide cover.

K

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.