Update

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  zasrs 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Min
    Participant

Peter attended the day unit today for a GCSF injection and to see the consultant. I was absent having gone to visit our grandaughter for a birthday party 'down south'
    But he said he was happy with the progress so far and the grim look he had last week was no longer there. We have had a few days of mega nausea and vomiting feeling quite week and tired but not so bad as we had anticipated. Back on the thalidomide now ….watch this space
    Min

brocho
    Participant

Hi Min good to hear things are better this week and I hope all goes well with the Thalidomide I saw your grandaughters pics on facebook looked like a good party!! Bet she was glad you went love Bridget x

eve
    Participant

Hi Min

Hope things are working out for you,
    Thinking about Peter and you wishing every thing goes well' eve

gina45
    Participant

Glad things are going better and wishing you well
    Take care
    Gina x

DaiCro
    Participant

When is Peter's SCT scheduled Min?

Dai.

Min
    Participant

We are not sure Dai, my limited understanding is…… because he did not get his light chains to zero last time they intend to attempt that this happens this time. Soooo it may be that he has to have another mega dose of melphalan before the one prior to transplant. Ideally they want to avoid infections and his needing lots of blood products. Meanwhile he is back on the thalidomide and it seams that it and the melphalan are doing there thing. All in all his blood results are really good for example
    prior to melphalan wbc 28.11 hgb 12.2 platelts 42 neuts 1.59 RBC 3.42
    after wbc 2.33 hgb 10.5 platelets 26 neuts .54 RBC 2.98
    Peter has said he want to put it off as long as possible, given the fact that he was never going to be able to have another sct due to previous 'failure' so watch this space..
    Very interesting fact following
    My daughter has a friend who is a plastic surgeon who had a skiing accident and crushed two vertebra. Now, he got a pretty complex and light weight back brace from the US of A to allow his vertebra to heal without carrying the weight… He has lent it to me for peter to try (same size persons) But he went on to tell Emma that it has been discovered that the fat that plastic surgeons take from people who want to lose weight contains a lot of ……wait for it….stem cells.. Emma was telling him that there will be no further opportunities to collect or harvest stem cells from her Dad and the Dr said that this was a new technology within the plastics department but …..
    People who have there fat reduced by removal are having the stuff spun in a centrifuge and the stem cells are collected and stored for the future … This is happening to perfectly healthy people. He travels around Europe for conferences on this subject and the swiss are developing it further.
    He is going to ask questions on our behalf as to wether the fat can be collected from people with MM who are unable to provide cells by usual method of harvesting.
    It may be that some people wont be able to benefit from this type of harvest… Especially if your skinny LOL. But it is a new concept that has never been looked at before and some benefit to be had from being overweight!
    Love Min

zasrs
    Participant

Hi y Min

So glad Peter is feelimg better. Very interresting to read about the novel potential way of collecting those little darlings, stem cells

From what I read there is a whole new medical word which will revolve round stem cells and the healing they may be capable, of for many nasty disieses (spelling)!

love to you both sarah xx

DaiCro
    Participant

Wow, now that is interesting. Strange but I have always imagined that major ways forward for diseases such as MM might well be found from other areas of medicine… side products and such… and this is a perfect example.8-)

Dai.

Elizellen
    Participant

Wow, Min that does sound like an interesting new way of harvesting stem cells.

As I have two large rolls of fat, one above and one below the navel that will not shift I would love them to try removing them and see if they could get any stem cells from them. A case of "2 birds with one stone" in my opinion!!

tom
    Participant

Hi Min

Pleased to read Peter is doing good 🙂
    And also pleased to read that Stem Cells can be taken from Fat good lord I could fill my freezers with my fat, and a tummy tuck at same time cant wait he he

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

Min
    Participant

Sunday was not a good day, he had a long lie in and woke up with a pain in his tummy, now thinks he has a peptic ulcer, lots of belching and heartburn and indigestion..
    Following which he had lots of nose bleeds but stopped when he lay down.Yesterday he had swollen legs ( not today though) Very very tired, felt very cold and had an ever so slight temperature. . Following which he is feeling very nauseous.
    Clinic day on tuesday but if there is no improvement by tomorrow will have to take him in. The chemo is obviously finally kicking in. Hope the GCSF starts to work overnight… mmmmm Looks like the planned unplanned in patient thing will be Monday. Dr did warn he would probably have to go in if he bottomed out. Bloods wise! so we are expecting it. Peter being Peter just wants to stay in the comfort of his own home and no hospital food or acquired infections.
    Need to put my bossy hat on tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Watch this space
    Min

tom
    Participant

Oh Bless, hope today is better for Peter:-D

not forgetting round my end we have a lot of "viral infections flying around 🙁 so hope Peter is soon better.

Love to you all

Tom xxx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Min I hope Peter is not feeling so rough today . I can understand Peter wanting to be at home , especially when he is feeling lousy, but he must know by now that you know where is the best place to get better Silly boy !! He must have forgotten who is boss love Bridget x

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Min

sorry Peter has had a rough few days I hope he feels better today men can be very difficult at times I hope he listens to you because you seem to know whats best for him give him my regards
    Love Jo

Min
    Participant

We were at the day unit today at 9-30am.
    He has a mild infection of some kind, don't know yet what it is but they sent bloods off for a culture.
    His WBC is down to 0.47 neutrophils 0.01 platelets 5. He was given a bag of platelets a new kind of GCSF injection and a box of strong anti biotics. He fought of the suggestion to give him two bags of blood but will have them tomorrow. He also fought off all attempts to keep him in!! Mind you they had 3 emergency admissions this morning so no beds left on the haemo wards.
    He is generally washed out and totally neutropenic. But no temperature now. Tommorow is a clinic day and we will see how the dreaded light chains have reacted to the melphalan and thalidomide soup! Judging by the other blood results it should be good as he has never needed blood ever before now. Made it home by 2pm
    Onwards and Upwards in Toms words. The counts that is
    Love MIn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Update’ is closed to new replies.