Weight Gain

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Gill20 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Gillian
    Participant

Hi,

After reading lots of posts, most people appear to loose their appetite and the weight drops off them. Not with me, so typical, I have put on loads of weight and am eating like a horse, trying to stick to healthy options and keeping off the sweets and snacks etc. I have been on CDT this is my 2 nd week so goodness knows how lRge I will be when I leave here. I am still in hospital, just starting week 6 and had to get dressed lastvweek. My bra would not fasten round me and nom way would my trousers zip up!!! Ahhhh just my luck I get the fat drugs not the ones that would make me skinny.

Anyone else had these symptoms???
    Thanks
    Gill C

shirley
    Participant

Hi Gill,i can surely sympathise with you,when i was on steriods i put loads of weight on,had a proper moon face too hahah. Once you stop taking them your weight will start to drop to,since i got diagnosed 2yrs ago i've lost nearly 3stone. At the moment i'm back on steriods to clear my mouth as i've graft verses host disease,so i've been pretty good with what i eat,mind i'm on a low dosage so its not been to bad. You will be fine and please don't worry,i'm sure its happened to loads of people,it did me,i wish you well and take care x Shirls x

Gillian
    Participant

Hi Shirls,

Thanks for your reply, I am just so concerned that the weight won't drop off me again, but you have given me some hope.

Gill

Gill20
    Participant

Hi Gill,

I thought it was just me, I cant seem to stop eating and have a craving for chocolate which I don' normally get. It must be the tablets I was thinking after my birthday I will really try hard to eat fruit instead of all the other things but then I think at this time we need to be pampered so a little of what we fancy can't do us any harm. Well unless we can't fit into our clothes… We may have to start our own slimming club.
    Gill

Debs
    Participant

Oh it's definitely not just you guys! Loads of us (esp women it seems) have put on weight….I've put on nearly 2 stone and gone up one and a half dress sizes. Very depressing. But a little of it has dropped off since I came off the steroids in anticipation of my SCT on Monday. And I hope the rest will come off with the SCT itself….surely 2 weeks of hospital food will be enough to make anyone lose 2 stone!!

From what I can gather, go with it, and then worry about it afterwards! It is hard dealing with the funny tastes and stuff, and if eating is what helps you deal with it, then go for it….be happy while you're taking this stuff is what I say…it's why I've kept having the odd drink throughout (when I've felt up to it!)

Good luck
    Debs x

shirley
    Participant

Totally agree Debs,just go with the flow,i used to eat alot of jelly sweets,needed sugar badly to begin with,didn't realise how much weight i put on until i saw a birthday photo of myself,(URGH),and i do have the occasional glass of wine,me and my hubby like to have a drink or 2,we don't smoke,we are now careful with our diets,so i don't feel bad having that odd glass haha(HIC),. Hope all goes well for you on Monday when you have SCT,good luck. Gill like i said don't worry about it,it will drop soon,and you take care in the mean time and enjoy what you eat,take care for now Shirls x x x

eve
    Participant

Hi Everybody
    I agree ,go with the flow,but what do you do when,you are a carer???
    Slims lost so much weight with being so ill,it is very hard to feed him up,I buy all this lovely food,the fridge is so full with tasty morsels and he eats a bit and says (I have gone off this),I think to myself I cannot waste this and eat it,tried giving it to the dog,but Oscar,s coming out in sympathy with Slim 😛
    So ladies Eve,s putting on weight,lol
    So I am going with the flow,waste not want not,
    Gill2 you enjoy your food,and do not think about the weight it only takes one hiccup and it will drop off you,Slim started at 13st8lb and 6ft 1in now he is 9st8lb and 5ft8inches ,so enjoy.

Gill do you use a dongle for your computer in hospital???,the reason I am asking,is Slim spent 22 days in hospital,and I felt if I lived there as well,it would have been nice to have internet connection.???
    best wishers Eve

kaychappers
    Participant

Hi Gill
    I have put on 2 and half stone in weight and gone from a size 8 to a size 14-16 (closer to the 16 :-)) I was on CDT now on Velcade. I found it hard putting on the weight in the beginning, now I am going with the flow. Its going to be the only time I can eat what I want so I am going to enjoy it. I know it will come off once I have my SCT (hopefully in September). I will be moaning at Christmas I cant indulge. Never happy us women. It is the dreaded steroids though. Good luck with the CDT.
    Kay x

Min
    Participant

Hi Eve
    We have been going through a ton of food lately most of it into the 3 dogs!
    I bought everything he normally likes and he didn't want it, or anything else. Then I made him porridge with milk that had gone off( I swear I didn't know) but it gave him 24hrs of D and S lots of vomiting and loo runs. Oh dear was I in the dog house.
    On the plus side it cleaned him out and now he is back to eating normally, and has a good appetite again. Just as well as I was eating for him to try and entice him to feel hungry` We still have occasional days of unexplained vomiting but he is fine after its up.
    love Min

Gill
    Participant

What the heck!! Enjoy what you can, when you can xxx

Interesting that it is all females posting on this topic I wonder if the men don't notice or bother about weight. I do hope so then Stephen won't notice how broad in the beam I have become:-)

eve
    Participant

Hi Min
    I am the same,if i do not eat Slim will not eat,hence the weight gain.
    Three dogs seems like a good idea,eating waste and all that walking!!!!

Previously to this illness,i shopped once a week,now its every day,it is something that Slims taken over,spending more money and wasting a lot of time,but he enjoys something he has control over:-S my attitude is what the heck lists for everything lol just got to remember were the heck he puts them.:-)
    On a serious note just so glad he is eating,you must feel the same.It is the Dex but why does it seem to effect people differently,it effects Slim mentally more,than effecting his body mass is it a good thing or bad.???

Gill,i honestly think men do notice women putting on weight,but it is not important to them,The same with clothes,Slim is down to small,but can I get him to buy clothes!!!!!everything hangs off him,his attitude if you don,t like it don,t look at me!!!!!refuses to buy any at all!!!he is skin and bones in a couple of layers of clothes.wish I had the answer.
    love Eve

ps just tried to post this came up in red (your message contains inappropriate content!!!! ) I said H-e-l-l, well team you are going to get a broadside,b-ug-g-er ba..d s–t,get a life will you!!!!
    I do not swear they are making me do it!!!!

DaiCro
    Participant

I lost 1.5 stones initially but nothing since. It was good to be able to fit into trousers and shirts comfortably but since starting CDT 2 years ago I have put a stone back on… >:-( :-0

We eat healthily, with lots of fruit and vegetables and although we enjoy the occasional take-away and some of Janet's wonderful home baking it is always in moderation and way below the pre-myeloma levels. Neither of us drink alcohol, we have never smoked and since Janet was diagnosed as a type2 diabetic we have watched the sweet stuff very closely. So I am baffled by my weight retention.

Well, thinking about it I suppose my exercise levels have dropped dramatically and most of my weight seems to be around my stomach, evenly distributed rather than a beer-belly and I feel bloated all the time rather than bone-fide fat. I have been taking Movicol consistently for 2 years and I always feel bloated after taking them… until they work… and then I have a 2 hour window of opportunity to dress to the nines and look good… if I only had somewhere to go at 4am in the morning. 😀

Anyway, as my Nana used to say: 'Fashion is just for passing in the street'… usually followed by 'Do you want some home-made butter on your Bara-Brith?'

Mmmm…. Bara-Brith and full-fat butter… JANET!!!!

Dai.

Gill
    Participant

OK I have to know what is Bara-Brith xx

DaiCro
    Participant

Bara-Brith is basically a Welsh fruit-loaf (literally 'speckled (or mottled) bread'. It is delicious on its own but much better with butter. Janet has her own prize winning recipe but Delia's is also very nice. Janet won't pass hers on 😛 – so here's Delia's. 🙂

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/autumn/bara-brith.html

'Man cannot live on meat alone' but Bar-Brith's a different matter.;-)

Dai.

KeithH17
    Participant

Best of luck with the sct Debs mine is on 2nd Aug.
    I've been eating for England since Jan and put on a stone which is'nt too bad considering.
    It's all because of the Dex although I've been off the meds for a month now so things are starting to settle down.
    I know you might not feel like reading posts for a while but do get well soon Debs and I look forward to exchanging stories with you once we both start feeling normal again.
    You'll have a start on me so again I hope all goes well and you get out of hospital as soon as possible.

Take care….Keith.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Weight Gain’ is closed to new replies.