Zometa side-effects

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  bernard 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

karl66
    Participant

Hello, I’m now 6 months post SCT, and on Zometa infusions every 4 weeks for the next 2 years.
    Just wanted to ask if anyone had any side-effects from the Zometa? I seem to get bone pain for a few days after and feel a bit fatigued. Although, I’m not sure if this is the ongoing fatigue from SCT recovery.
    Thanks
    Karl

italylover
    Participant

Hi Karl
    So sorry you are suffering these side effects. I don’t recall it happening to me although i did have fatigue for quite a time after my transplant (July, 2017) and in fact although I feel really well with remission coming up to 4 years I still get weary when I do any physical work.

mulberry
    Participant

Personally I didn’t have any side effects from zometa but I know a few people who have. Apparently it can avoid side effects as you describe if the infusion is given more slowly, nurses can adjust the rate.

kevin
    Participant

Hello Karl
    Have been on 3 monthly infusions for nearly three and half years now and have not noticed, or remember initially any side effects but was told that you should inform your dentist that you are on this medication. I might be wrong but something rings a bell with me about side effects make occur initially but should ease off. As I say not sure about this so would suggest you ask your consultant.
    Best wishes
    Kevin

paulpix
    Participant

Hi Karl

I had no side effects to the Zometa at all, I would mention it to the nurses in case they can help with the bone pain

Paul

marty2019
    Participant

I also have Zometa every four weeks. I also seem to be very fatigued for a couple of days after each infusion.

marty2019
    Participant

My hospital insists that I have a blood test one to two days before each appointment for my Zometa infusion. Might be an idea to check with your doctor/nurse to see whether you need to do the same.

karl66
    Participant

Thank you for your replies and for sharing your experience.
    I know people can have different effects from these treatments, and Myeloma varies widely between individual patients.
    I do ask the medical team at the hospital about these things, and always write any questions down before a clinic appointment, in case I forget to ask. But it’s still comforting to know from other people going through the same thing, that I’m not alone in this.
    Take care
    Karl

myelsoma
    Participant

It’s helpful to find this thread. I’m on low-dose Lenalidomide since SCT last September, and had my first Zometa infusion 3 weeks ago. No apparent side-effects, but about 17 days after the Zometa my sternum area felt a bit bruised; the discomfort has slowly increased over about 5 days, and has spread a bit to other areas – left hand, lower spine – so that movement is a little more limited. I thought that I might have lifted and swung my 2.5 yr old granddaughter a bit too much! I’ve paused my daily physio routine because I feel too uncomfortable (how beneficial was that, btw! – fantastic PRiSM department at UCLH).

I’m about to contact my nurse about it, but am somwehat reassured meanwhile that this can be a side-effect, and might ease. So, thanks for the posts, folks. (Got my eye on the unused morphine that had helped me through the first agonising month or so back in Nov 2019, but hope that I don’t have to resort to that.)

I noticed another post (#118839) from John “Side effects include flu like symptoms and bones aching to begin with but in the end get better.”

Miles

bernard
    Participant

Hi

I had zometa every 4 weeks without any side effects I now have it every 12 weeks again without complications. Perhaps it eccects people in different ways?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.