Dexatude

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  brocho 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Gill
    Participant

Stephen has started the New Year Dex free YIPEE. I know that Dex is a necessary evil but how I hate them. He was on them all over Christmas, plus the poor devil was on RT until the day before Christmas Eve. We had his 83 year old, quite deaf mum staying with us frequently saying (quite loudly) "why does he keep having a go at you" And Stephen informed me that he was aware that dex changed his mood but "THIS TIME IT's YOU" and I was ruining his Christmas??????

When I mentioned this side effect to one of his chemo nurses she told me that although they were aware it could cause quite nasty mood swings they didn't mention it as not everybody went through it.Gee THANKS.

I am sure we will have a much calmer New Year and my placid, mild mannered and laid back husband will return.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all

Gill xxx

Roz
    Participant

Hi Gill

I hope you keep a calmer placid Stephen for quite a while. I know what they did to Michae, and how things were always my fault. The nurses always say, not everyone who takes it suffers this way but nearly everyone on this site takes it out on their partners when on Dex I believe.

Roz

Min
    Participant

Hi Gill
    Peter was having velcade on Christmas Eve which meant, Dex then and on Christmas Day too. so I know exactly where your coming from. We now have a sort of understanding where I say' Peter that is not you talking its Dex"
    He usually replies "I did not ask for Dex" but for a short while we can agree that Dex is here uninvited.
    Dex normally returns but I just remind him of his uninvited friend (Dex) I think of it a Peters alter ego, as he is normally a quite mild mannered man; Sadly its one of the many side effects we have to bite our tongue with. fortunately it goes away. Just wish the bloody Myeloma would go with it! Good Luck to Stephen with his treatment
    Happy New Year
    Min

brocho
    Participant

Hi Gill as you know I am also anti-Dex it is a horrible drug ,by far the worst !!So I am glad you have your Stephen back and long may it last!! I am enjoying not being on dex too ,now I just want my body to return to its normal shape Hope you had a good xmas and heres to a very happy and healthy new year love Bridget x

zasrs
    Participant

Hi Gill

welcobe to a dex free 2011!! i hate the stuff, ihave a broken lamp lampshade and a horrid mess of of a table! That was me throwing things at my poor husband!! I had had enough of the sarcasim. He has been off it for 7 months bliss:-D

sarah

ron
    Participant

Sorry to go off at a bit of a tangent but I am fairly new to the site and will be probably be asking some pretty naiive questions over the coming weeks.

Can someone tell me what Dexatude is? I have searched this site and googled it but can find nothing. Christine is on Dexamethasone – is this the same thing? She suffers from anxiety, shaking and breathlessness and I'm wondering whether this may be caused by the Dexamethasone.

brocho
    Participant

Hi Ron sorry but Dexatude is a made up word to describe the awful creatures we become sometimes when we are on dex!! It can make you very short tempered at times and impatient ,not very nice for the people around us Hopefully your wife wont have these side -effects though In my case the higher the dose the more likely it is I will be not very nice to live with for the days when I am taking it and its not something I can control which is really annoying love to you both Bridget x ps perhaps it should be in the dictionary , I think it was Gil who first coined the phrase

brocho
    Participant

It took me a few goes to post my reply to Ron because of inappropriate content!! Eventually realised it was the very hot place some bad people go to when they die !!Haha how much more succinct a four letter word is !Bridget

Gill
    Participant

I am really sorry Ron I am guilty as charged it was me that started the "made up" word of dexatude to describe the horrible attitude my mild mannered kind and caring husband gets when he is on the dexamethasone. I am truly sorry if I misled you. I do know that when I asked one of Stephen's chemo nurses about the mood swings he gets she told me that they were aware that they could occur but did not mention them as not everyone suffered from them.

Do ask your wife's consultant about the side effects that she is experiencing and fingers crossed that she does not get mood swings (dexatude). If she does as Min said it is the dex talking not your wife.

Do let us all know how it goes

Very sorry Gill xxx

eve
    Participant

hy everbody

When does this kick in my partner is only 3 days into dex,this morning he went off in a mood,because i did not want him changing bedroom round,complaining I should have had fitted wardrobes by now,

Aa well as coping with illness,I have had kitchen fitted,next bathroom ,double glazing planning consent to sought out,and when i told him it might be dex kicking in,that set the cat among the pigeons.my bedroom looks awful boxs stored behind wardrobes,

Letting this one ride just closing my eyes when I go in bedroom

brocho
    Participant

Hi Eve I really feel for you , it sounds as if you both have a lot on your plate at the moment The trouble with dex is that as a patient its very hard to admit it is the dex making you behave badly As hard as it will be try and ignore your husbands bad temper if you can , if you say to yourself its not him its the dexAbove all though make some time for yourself to do the things you want that have nothing to do with myeloma or hospitals!!Spoil yourself occasionally , you deserve it as you are going through the myeloma journey alongside your husband and in many ways its harder on the people who look after us Your bedroom and any other jobs in the house will get done in the end but looking after yourself is more important for both of you Take care Bridget

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dexatude’ is closed to new replies.