Idiot on Dex??

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Min 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Gill
    Participant

Just when Stephen had stopped taking Dex and was becoming himself again. He has bought another puppy!!

Yes we were always going to have another dog and Yes as Stephen will be receiving treatment for around the next 6 months we cannot go to France which means the new little pup will be rabies inoculated etc and allowed to travel when we next go.

But goodness he moved pretty quick once we had decided!!

I'd be a liar to say I am not very excited about picking up this little fluff ball on Monday. I just hope our little monster doesn't object.

Well you can't get more "off topic" than that

I do hope everyone is OK Love from Gill xx

Roz
    Participant

Hi Gill

I don't know what it is about this illness, but Michael wanted another dog. He talked none stop about it, even when he was confused he'd been taking our dog Benji out, so he said any way. Benji has been dead for around 10 years.
    I put my foot down and said no due to both our conditions, but part of me wish I'd given this bit of happiness to him before he went.

Any way I hope you, Steven and your new pup have a long time together. They are company I admit.
    Roz

Perkymite
    Participant

We lost both our dogs in 2010, first Murphy (13 years) our Springer and then Guinness (15 years) our Border Collie. I buried them next to each other in the garden. We would both love another dog but our circumstances do not allow it.

We wish you all the best with your new friend (green with envy)

kindest regards

David

Min
    Participant

You can forgive him for this dexatude Gill, we have three labradors, and they are what gets Peter out of bed in the mornings and at his worst and lowest point in the past the dogs have always been there to lend an ear.
    For both of us. What better way to get out in worst of weathers, and the best of weathers.
    I moan like mad when its raining as drying 3 of them is a pain(literally) but the joy they bring is priceless. The oldest is 12 and the youngest is 6 They are our surrogate children. The real ones now have there own families and dogs.
    What breed is the new puppy and don't forget to attach a picture when you get him/her
    Min

Gill
    Participant

Thanks everybody for your good wishes. It's another West Highland White Terrier Min They grow to be about 12 inches high and think they are 12 feet. Like Peter our Westie is what gets Stephen out of bed He walks about 2 or 3 miles with her every morning come rain, shine, snow or hurricane.

Roz I know that Michael was confused towards the end but when I showed Stephen your reply he said that it was quite a nice confusion to believe that he had his dog there and had walked it. I do hope you are OK.

Our 2 year old "Echo" loves having other dogs visit but when she realises that this one is not going home and she will have to share her "peeps" (people) I am not so sure she will be as pleased. "Watch this space".

David maybe you could "adopt" a neighbour's dog. Somebody who is out all day and needs a helping hand to keep "Rover" company:)

Hope everybody is OK Gill xx

DaiCro
    Participant

I have my dog Morris a 13.5 year old Border Collie who is Okayish. We took him to the vets when we came back from our holiday because he was getting very stiff after walks. The vet said he didn't want to treat him at this time, that his stiffness was simply a sign of older age and that while he had cataracts in both eyes there was not much to do for that except keep a night light on for him. He was such a flyer in his younger days that it pains me to see him restrained (and slightly plump) but at least I can sympathise. Janet says she won't have another, although she might get a kitten once he goes (we lost our 18.5 year old cat in March… a week before my SCT).

I am tempted to have another but I am in no fit state to walk it and I do not want to force any extra duties on Janet. Ho hum. 🙂

Dai.

Min
    Participant

Dai
    My oldest dog Ben had got to the point that he could not get up off his bed to go for a walk he was so stiff, he dragged his feet on all our walks and the two younger dogs were not at all pleased that we went everywhere with him bringing up the rear so to speak. I got to believe he was not long for this life. That was about 4-5 moths ago. Then i discovered a product called Flexi-joints from Healthspan in jersey
    240 Tablets for about (£9 you cant get a vet consultation for that) I give him 3 a day and he now has no problems getting up and he is striding out ahead of me again. Its a small investment for a lot of joy. I don't work for them or have any interest in the company I just use them because they are cheap and of a quality that is effective. If I could slip them into Peters food I would if I thought they would work on him too!
    Gill you will be surprised at how much the puppy will learn from the older dog, and on the good side they excercise each other at that age My two younger ones still chase each other.
    Min

DaiCro
    Participant

Thank you for that Min, I'll be on to them first thing tomorrow.

Dai.

zasrs
    Participant

hi gill

good luck with your new addition. there must be something in mm drugs, gordon was very dissapointed that there was not a collie pup in his stocking!! our working collie is showing his age now, until he sees a flock of sheep, then he looks 2 again!

i will buy him (skip) some flexijoint min sounds good.

all the best

sarah

Min
    Participant

I recommended them to my brothers neighbour who has a 12yr old border collie and she just sent me a message of thanks to say they have made a big difference to her dog too.

lorrainey
    Participant

Hi Min,
    I'd like to thank you for the recommendation too. I've ordered some flexi-joints for my 15 and half yr old border collie Jess whose back legs have also gone very weak. It's good to hear of something that actually works 🙂 I'll let you know how we get on with them.
    Lorraine xxx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Gill I agree with Sarah , there must be something in the sct process which makes the desire for a dog a necessity !! In my case I dream of a little dachsund but I reall cant expect Jeff to do the walking etc so I am stuck with the furry grandson Looking forward to seeing pics of the puppy when it arrives love Bridget x ps maybe the flexi-joints would be good for Jeff then he wouldnt mind dog walking !!

Gill
    Participant

Stephen has not been too well, he's now on velcade IV with dex as a side line !! It is all taking its toll but we collected the puppy yesterday

It was a good move in our life to get the puppy but very tiring. Our 2 year old westie, Echo (short for Ecosse) has always adored visiting dogs. Well what went wrong here??? She is now waiting for Anya (as in Montagne) to go back. I do hope they will become friends

Food is the biggest issue (Echo would happily kill!!). The puppy quite likes to get into Echo's bed but all Echo does is ignore her and lay on the central heating pipes. We had forgotton how loudly pups yelp at night when left. Hence me being up at this time to try and get this house back to the quiet place it was. I will try and attach photos in the next few days.

I do hope everybody is OK Stephen is still not good on the dex. The mood swings do seem to depend on the dose prescribed and his backache is getting worse. MM is bad enough but to relapse so quickly has been devastating Gill xx PS all quiet the flipping pup must have worn herself out>:-)

brocho
    Participant

Hi Gill sorry Stephen is not feeling great but I hope that rotten dex does its magic very soon . I start back on it next week , 40mg lovely . I cant remember if Stephen has had radiotherapy for his back painbut I am already finding an improvement in mine It hasnt gone comltetely yet but it vanished over the weekend , mind you today is a bugger!!Anya is a lovely name I m sure she and Echo will end up being the best of friends ( I am sooo jealous!!) Mind you I dont envy you the sleepless nights, I would probably be too soft at that stage Cant wait to see the pics Take care Gill love to you both Bridget x

Min
    Participant

Hi Gill,
    I know exactly how you feel, Peter's revlamid and dex is causing some problems. Fortunatly the dex bit is over with now, but the Revlamid is causing a lot of fatigue and very swollen legs ankles and feet.So much so he had given up work again. We were told that the 1st course will be difficult but it is so dissapointing when he was so well before the blasted medication started.
    I am pleased you finaly have the new puppy and I am sure you will see a change soon. My old dog (was two at the time )was not happy when I introduced a new puppy, (female) and food was a problem as the puppy was being fed more frequently. I think if Echo gets lots of extra attention the jealously will lesson. Good luck, they are a marvelous distraction to the annoyance of mm and how much it rules your life when back in treatment had problems posting as wont let me call my female dog a bit*h!
    MIn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Idiot on Dex??’ is closed to new replies.