Is anyone working with myeloma? How supportive has your employer been?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Willisboy 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

daisychain
    Participant

Hi

Is anyone Woking with myeloma? Hw supportive as your employer been?

I work for a corporate organisation whose aim is to be recognised as an "employer of choice"

I'm trying to find out about how other people are treated by their employers whilst living with mm to see if the support I've received is comparable to other similar size companies.

my company has supported me in returning back to wrk post stem cell transplant. With reduced hours, flexible workload.

However Reluctantly I recently went part time with my employer to help balance treatment and work. As I felt my regular visits to the marsden, blood tests was being disruptive to the business and I felt personally uncomfortable with this.

Currently I'm on treatment that has resulted in unpredictable healthy days specifically fatigue blurred vision from steroids. I've tried to continue working whilst on treatment which i now feel has probably not done me any favours. As the company and me have high expectations about my performance.

In addition, the company has stuck to their policy in relation to sick pay adopting the statutory sick pay benefit and not exercising their discretion to pay over and above their company scheme; which I have noted that Macmillan suggest this happens as part of reasonable adjustments ?

Also post stem cell transplant my probationary period was extended stopping me from receiving certain benefits and having to prove myself of a worthy employee whilst also on a rehabilitation programme!!

It's been suggested to me by occupational health of my mm consultant that I give up work and focus on my health and family which is great advice it's just that I'm 52 and hadn't planned for early retirement physiologically .

I'm interested to find out if anyone is still working with myeloma? how your coping? what support do you get from your employer Ie do they pay over and above their sick pay scheme when your off? what sort of reasonable adjustments have been made for you? Do they have a policy for employees living with cancer etc. to see if my experience is any different to others.

Many thanks

Dawn xx

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Dawn, I had a long period off when diagnosed and went back to work whilst on velcade/dex. I was working a 12hr shift pattern which I couldn't do due to tiredness and other kidney complications so was offered the chance to try different work patterns on the basis of the Dr stating a phased return to work. I knew I could not do 12hr anymore as this involved nights but it was made quite clear once the phased return to work period was over I would have to do it/leave/move jobs – I moved to a different team, 6hr days etc. which I don't like and have taken quite a drop in money. Every conversation I have had ends with a "and if you decide to leave we'll be sorry to lose your skills but understand…". I only get the Co. sick pay – no exceptions due to condition – "everyone has be treated the same". It has also been stressed that whilst I have a good sick record and this illness is treated as "one time" should I break a finger, for example, or have any unrelated MM sickness I will be taken through the disciplinary route. I have yet to mention I'll be going through the SCT process in the next few months! – mainly because my Manager never asks how I am and I know they see it as disruptive. I am 51yrs and remain only for the money/death benefits/a taste of normality.

I do know someone with cancer who was on SSP – causing a lot of unnecessary stress over money as his partner was struggling to cope/work – and HR arranged to come round after a few months off work and they thought he was going to be finished on ill health but was told at the meeting (whilst he was laid in bed with a drip in) that in light of his hard work and good work ethic they had rethought their decision and was handed a cheque for £xooo in back pay and is being paid full pay now – and what a difference that has made to their lives and spirit.

I know of someone else who was paid full pay throughout their leukaemia and BMT and they retained a co. car and free petrol which his wife used for hospital visits. When he returned back to work he found another job as soon as he could because his job had been spread out amongst a few people whilst he was off sick and he felt as though he didn't have the same position there!

These three Cos are large employers with good reputations.

tom
    Participant

Hi Dawn

Well my little story is ::::I work in a steel terminal loading and unloading steel for import/export.
    The work is hard Long hours most of the time and my Company has always said "We don't have Light Duties" Well I was diagnosed in January 2009 with MM, my first line of treatment was CTD, I went on sick on my 3rd cycle of CTD due to tiredness 🙁 and stayed of till after my SCT which was in December 2009, was off from May 2009 till May 2010, I decided to go back to work to see if I could do it?? and wanted a reduced hours/week ?? but my Manager (also a director) of the company said he had a Job that he is setting up for me :-0 .

The Job he set up was to sit in a portakabin at the gate and book lorries in and inform my old colleagues what and when a lorry turned up, at the moment I am still doing the same job and he kept me on the same money and got the same bonus if any was paid.
    Work has got very slack over this past year or so but I am like Rebecca I "remain only for the money/death benefits/a taste of normality." but to be fair if reduncy was an option I would take it that fast and be out of it all and am only 58 years young and taking no drugs at all.
    Oh and the company sick pay was just the normal I never got nor asked for any top up.
    Good Luck to those that have to make the decision to work or not to work its a darn hard one to do.

Tom Onwards and Upwards x

Vicki
    Participant

Hi there dawn

Colin worked throughout but he's been lucky, he was able to do quite a bit of,work from home as they put a computer at home for him. So effectively other that not bein in the office he was doing the full job but very flexibly. If he felt ill he would go to bed then perhaps catch up on a Sunday. They have been magnificently supportive…..we are both so grateful. That's not much help to you dawn I know. I thought that cancer fell within the disability discrimination act and all employers are obliged to make reasonable adjustments. However with regard to sick pay I don't think employers are obliged to keep paying full sick pay…..my own organisation considered each case on a case by case basis, very difficult though as I used to work in hr and not everyone got full sick pay after the 6 months. However I think you ought to press your employers for better reasonable adjustments and they shouldn't just expect you to retire because its in the too hard basket for them……are there options used could present to them to consider……that always helps as it shows you are being proactive. 🙂

Vicki and Colin x

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Dawn, just been thinking about the whole work issue as we are the same age and I have a teen daughter – I would like to add that whilst giving up work is difficult on many levels – particularly psychologically – as time is of an "unknown" quantity I work only to live (a bit better). Family takes priority and I will play the system to ensure this remains so ie. I have been allowed to take all summer off on hols as my Dr kindly extended a phased return to work due to chemo. I know I will not be working any other summer also – regardless of how I achieve this. Life is too precious to devote it to work if a family will be at home. I had a fantastic job once and took redundancy as soon as I could when I started a family and this now gives me great comfort that I was at home and enjoyed watching my daughter grow. I have only worked around her and now will do so even more protectively – I don't care if it disrupts the smooth flow of business or incurs overtime costs in the great scheme of things it is of little consequence only my relationship with my family matters.

Kazzam2
    Participant

Hi Dawn, (and all)

I have been reading your post with much interest as I have the same dilemma. I am 51 and was diagnosed aged 50, (last year). At my last clinic a couple of weeks ago I mentioned my current sick note would run out before my next visit. She went on to say I need to think about retiment on health grounds, this had been mentioned when I was initially diagnosed, but I always hoped they may repair me enough to go back. (Due to late diagnosis I suffered exstensive bone damage). I am a school cook, quite a heavy job, huge pans, deliveries and worst of all tables and chairs, I used to have an assistant but in my absence the girls who have covered for me are alone. The company have been good, as in keeping me on the books, I had minimum sick pay, after 3 months was on ssp, which ran out some months ago. They sent me flowers initially, but now I never hear of them, I just send copies of sick notes. I think my main reason for returning is sanity (money is always handy too), the thought of retiring at 51 is daunting, but reading all your comments is very useful in helping me some form of descision. Some of it is self esteem and need to be needed, but of course life goes on. My consultant said I am a wife and mother (teenagers) and I should focus on my home, family and health.

Good luck to you all with whatever you decide, not an easy one. I must come on here more though, you are such a friendly bunch x:-D Karen x

rebeccaR
    Participant

hi Karen,
    Is there any chance you could be redeployed/trained to a less physical role but still at the school so you get the hols off? I had a few months off after diagnosis and concentrated on getting fit – physically/mentally. My consultant was always pushing me to resume work as he thinks its good for your sanity but I liked the time off. I did feel that when I resumed work I was very tired (it is a demanding job) and therefore exercise was sacrificed on work days which I don't think is good. I am now trying to go to the gym straight from work even tho I'm tired to keep my fitness and it really helps me mentally and I train more on days off. I feel work does inevitably adversely affects your health/fitness unless you decide to do a smaller job for the social/sanity bit – easier said than done finding one tho. It's a balance on what you deem to be the most important to you.
    Out of interest how are your teens coping with your diagnosis. I have not told family yet and its been a year nearly – as I have nearly always been fit etc decided to spare everyone. As SCT is looming I guess I will have tell my daughter but know how difficult this knowledge is to live with and don't want to do it. Any tips please?

Kazzam2
    Participant

Hi Rebecca, thanks for your comments and suggestions. The company I work for are a private catering firm totally seperate to the school I work at. As for being redepoyed or trained, nearly all the posts are heavy, as it is catering, so even managers are expected to cook and lift etc, even say an area manager would have to and drive hundreds of miles a week and be dropping off supplies etc, so I am not sure what I am to do, i have plenty of time to think about it! Ha

As for telling my daughters, we had to tell them as i was in hospital for a month post diagnosis. They seem to be coping, well they are being typical teenagers, which I am glad of! I am sure they worry, I try not to talk about it, but i still get a lot of pain which has not been addressed, I am waiting to hear back about the possibility of another back operation.

sorry I cannot offer any tips on how to tell your daughter, how old is she? It won't be easy, but she needs to know. Good luck, and take care
    Karen
    x

Kazzam2
    Participant

Hi Rebecca, thanks for your comments and suggestions. The company I work for are a private catering firm totally seperate to the school I work at. As for being redepoyed or trained, nearly all the posts are heavy, as it is catering, so even managers are expected to cook and lift etc, even say an area manager would have to and drive hundreds of miles a week and be dropping off supplies etc, so I am not sure what I am to do, i have plenty of time to think about it! Ha

As for telling my daughters, we had to tell them as i was in hospital for a month post diagnosis. They seem to be coping, well they are being typical teenagers, which I am glad of! I am sure they worry, I try not to talk about it, but i still get a lot of pain which has not been addressed, I am waiting to hear back about the possibility of another back operation.

sorry I cannot offer any tips on how to tell your daughter, how old is she? It won't be easy, but she needs to know. Good luck, and take care
    Karen
    x

daisychain
    Participant

Hi Rebecca

Your storey sounds all too familiar!! And very similar to mine! Some companies are very supportive and some go by the book (or hr policies). My background is hr consultant and currently advice on employment law! And it is very difficult for me to fight my corner…

However my advice to you would be not to
    resign! Unless you have a case for constructive dismissal

You have rights under the equality act 2010. My suggestion would be to contact ACAS to find out more.

http://m.acas.org.uk/
    Helpline

The Acas Helpline is the place to go for both employers and employees who are involved in an employment dispute or are seeking information on employment rights and rules. The Helpline provides clear, confidential, independent and impartial advice to assist the caller in resolving issues in the workplace.

Call the Helpline on 08457 47 47 47.
    Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm

Customers with a hearing or speech impairment may prefer to contact us using the Text Relay service. You can contact the Acas Helpline using Text Relay by dialling 18001 08457 474747. Your questions will be relayed to the helpline adviser who answers the call and a real-time conversation will take place.

Information on the Text Relay service is available at http://www.textrelay.org.

Information on how to make the best use of the Acas Helpline is available here.

Alternatively, you can use Helpline Online below.

This new automated system, which launched in June 2013, learns from your questions and, as more people use it, will get better at providing the most relevant answer to your query. We will be tracking any un-answered questions and, in each case, considering whether to add them to the system to help it fit your needs as closely as possible.

Extract from ACAS absence policy booklet

"if your employee is disabled or becomes disabled, you are legally required under the Equality Act 2010 to make reasonable adjustments to enable the employee to continue working – for example, providing an ergonomic chair or a power-assisted piece of equipment
    • make sure the individual is not disadvantaged because of their disability
    • if absence is related to disability, keep record separate from other sickness absence
    • for further information, contact the Equality and Human Rights Commission at http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/"

Good luck and I'd be interested to hear how you get on

Dawn x

daisychain
    Participant

Hi tom

Seems to me your employer is supportive and has "enhanced" their policy to support you which is great ! You may find your employer would be very nervous about making you redundant because of your rights under the equality act 2010. Again would suggest you contact ACAS for more information.

I take it you've found out about pension ill health retirement? Have you ever thought of opening up a discussion about a "settlement agreement" in the old days was called a "compromise agreement" with your employer

Extract from ACAS web site

"Settlement Agreements came into effect on 29 July 2013.

To support their introduction, Acas has produced a statutory Code of Practice which explains what settlement agreements are and provides guidance on the new law which concerns the confidentiality of settlement agreement negotiations.
    In addition to the code Acas has also produced a non-statutory guide which provides more detailed guidance on the use of Settlement Agreements.
    View/Download:

Code of Practice on settlement agreements [1Mb].

Settlement agreements Acas guide [695kb].

Key points about settlement agreements

Settlement agreements are legally binding contracts that waive an individual's rights to make a claim covered by the agreement to an employment tribunal or court.
    The agreement must be in writing.
    They usually include some form of payment to the employee and may often include a reference.
    They are voluntary.
    They can be offered at any stage of an employment relationship.
    Settlement agreements are legally binding contracts which can be used to end an employment relationship on agreed terms. They can also be used to resolve an ongoing workplace dispute, for example, a dispute over holiday pay. These agreements can be proposed by either an employer or an employee, although it will normally be the employer.

Once a valid settlement agreement has been signed, the employee will be unable to make an employment tribunal claim about any type of claim which is listed on the agreement.

Where the employer and employee are unable to reach an agreement, the settlement discussions cannot usually be referred to as evidence in any subsequent unfair dismissal claim. Where the settlement discussions are held to resolve an existing dispute between the parties they cannot be used as evidence in any type of claim.

Reaching a settlement agreement

For the settlement agreement to be legally binding the following conditions must be met.

The agreement must be in writing.
    The agreement must relate to a particular complaint or proceedings.
    The employee must have received advice from a relevant independent adviser, such as a lawyer or a certified and authorised member of a trade union.
    The independent adviser must have a current contract of insurance or professional indemnity covering the risk of a claim by the employee in respect of loss arising from the advice.
    The agreement must identify the adviser.
    The agreement must state that the applicable statutory conditions regulating the settlement agreement have been met.
    Employees should be given a reasonable amount of time to consider the proposed conditions of the agreement; the Acas Code of Practice on settlement agreements specifies a minimum of 10 calendar days unless the parties agree otherwise.

Settlement agreements are voluntary and parties do not have to agree to them or enter into discussion about them. There can be a process of negotiation during which both sides make proposals and counter proposals until an agreement is reached or both parties decide no agreement can be reached.

If a settlement agreement is not reached and depending on the nature of the dispute or problem, resolution may be pursued through a performance management, disciplinary or grievance process, or mediation whichever is the most appropriate. It is important that employers follow a fair process and use the Acas Code of Practice on Discipline and Grievance procedures because, if the employee is dismissed, failure to do so may be grounds for a claim of unfair dismissal.

Settlement agreement meeting

Although there is no statutory right for the employee to be accompanied at any meeting to discuss the agreement, an employee may want to involve someone to help them, such as a work colleague or a trade union representative. Employers should, as a matter of good practice, allow an employee to be accompanied when meetings are held as this can often help progress settlement discussions.

Ending the employment relationship

When the settlement agreement includes an agreement to end the employment relationship, then employment can end with the required notice, or the timing can be agreed as part of the settlement agreement.

Details of payment and the timing should be included in the agreement; any payments should be made as soon as practicable after the agreement has been reached.

Call the Acas helpline

If you would like further advice on settlement agreements and what they may mean for your organisations' employment relations practices please call the Acas helpline on 08457 47 47 47."

However before going down this route would recommend getting in dependant advice from a financial advisor especially as it would have impact on your company benefits

Good luck

Dawn x

daisychain
    Participant

Hi again

Your storey similar to mine was told to focus on my health and family.. However, my kids are living their lives I feel a bit like Wendy Craig "life is like a butterfly" and at 52 I'd not planned in my mind or financially for early retirement! And if I spend too much time forcing on my health I get myself in a right emotional state surfing the net etc!!!!

The question I ask is why do I go to work?

Is it I love the job I'm doing? The people I work with? The money? The chance to put my "glad rags" on? Status in society i.e. I work as … I work for…. I work days per week as… As opposed to I'm retired not that retirement is a bad thing it's weather or not you are mentally prepared for it

The government is always harping on about how it is good to go to work – here's an extract from ACAS supporting the benefits of going to work

"ACAS Foreword
    For many employees work means a lot more than just their wage. Studies show that work is generally good for health and prolonged sickness absence can produce its own set of problems: isolation, de-skilling, loss of confidence, mental health issues and social exclusion.
    Keeping people at work and helping them get back to work as soon as possible can help maintain an employee’s health and wellbeing and improve organisational effectiveness. Managing sickness absence can be a challenge for many employers. Why is someone off? When will they come back? Is there anything I can do to help?"

Good luck

Dawn xxxx

happyheartsfan
    Participant

Hi Dawn,

Like myeloma, all companies treat their employees very differently. I was diagnosed a year ago. Apart from a couple of hospital stays for pneumonia and PE's, both life threatening, I worked full time as a business development manager. I had a SCT in April and was back at work full time by mid June. And made redundant in September. A very well managed process I could not challenge despite advice from a judge. So I lose my health insurance, death in service benefits etc. I am 46 and have a one year old, Elsie, to provide for. I had even added to my education in my own time, graduating with a msc in accounting and finance. If a company decides that the business does not need you, there is actually little you can do about it. And I would recommend holding on to your job no matter what as, if you are well known in an industry as I am, it proves impossible to get full time employment as they all remember my bald and sickly after my transplant. I am now Elsie's carer and it a damn site harder than working : )
    So my advice is hold onto what job you can or, like me, consider selling your house before bankruptcy.

happyheartsfan
    Participant

Hi Dawn,

Like myeloma, all companies treat their employees very differently. I was diagnosed a year ago. Apart from a couple of hospital stays for pneumonia and PE's, both life threatening, I worked full time as a business development manager. I had a SCT in April and was back at work full time by mid June. And made redundant in September. A very well managed process I could not challenge despite advice from a judge. So I lose my health insurance, death in service benefits etc. I am 46 and have a one year old, Elsie, to provide for. I had even added to my education in my own time, graduating with a msc in accounting and finance. If a company decides that the business does not need you, there is actually little you can do about it. And I would recommend holding on to your job no matter what as, if you are well known in an industry as I am, it proves impossible to get full time employment as they all remember my bald and sickly after my transplant. I am now Elsie's carer and it a damn site harder than working : )
    So my advice is hold onto what job you can or, like me, consider selling your house before bankruptcy.

happyheartsfan
    Participant

Hi Dawn,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone working with myeloma? How supportive has your employer been?’ is closed to new replies.