Memory loss

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Perkymite 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi, it is now 3:50 a.m. and I am sitting here typing 🙁 I woke up at 2:30 and realised I could not remember what I did with the prescription I am thought I collected on Thursday. I am supposed to take anti-biotic this morning but I will have run out if I cannot find them >:-(

Whether I actually collected them I am now not sure. It is not the end of the world I can sort it out this morning at the pharmacy.

Has anyone else noticed this sort of memory loss? I have never had a good memory but this level of mental confusion is new to me.

Kindest regards ? vasbyte
    David

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi David,

Allowing for senior moments (I will be 58 on Xmas Eve) my short term memory has been shot to pieces since the onset of MM. I have blamed the meds… after 3.5 years of daily morphine, plus the other kinds, both permanent and temporary, I feel mentally blunted. I struggle to recall names and facts which I find thoroughly frustrating and I have had to develop a mantra of 'Think IT, Do It'… otherwise there is a very good chance it won't get done. I ask Janet to remind me of appointments etc. but even so, I have seen and felt a definite deterioration in my short term memory.

Dai.

Perkymite
    Participant

Last night I determined I would remember what happened. And I remembered I did go to the pharmacy to collect my prescription on Thursday and was told that it would be ready Friday – I then forgot to collect it. So I am pleased that I managed to sort that out in my mind.

However, I went to collect my scripts today to be told the Surgery had not processed anything for me:-S . Lucky the Pharmacist was a young lady I know and she let me have enough tabs until Monday when I can sort the whole thing out.

Checking the last time I logged in to the Surgery computer shows that I did log in 4 days ago so that was when I put in my repeat script so the fault must lie with the Surgery. So we have two bog ups one the Surgery did not process the script when requested and two the Pharmacist told me they were processing a script for collection Friday which they were not.:-0 It is a fun life:-D

kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

Min
    Participant

AH DAVID AND DAI
    Fear not, its old age.
    I have not had a single drug of the type you two must of had, I have not had any of the proceedures you have had to endure.(Thank God)
    But I do have a terrible memory of late ( But I can remember I will be an official old age pensioner next month)
    I used to call all of my moment of forgetfulness senior moments, now I call them panic attacks!
    Peter was my memory. Even with all he had had to endure he could always remember where I had put the things I had ?lost? he never forgot a name or place or event.
    As I no longer work and my brain is no longer active in the same way I keep telling myself I am going to get the brain training game out and sharpen up, but there are never enough hurs in the day and I spend far too much time on my computer which is probably why my brain is addled!
    Love MIn

Perkymite
    Participant

Great Min, I think you are right. hey ho and away we go………

kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Min

You do the brain training and have a laugh. I did one on my friend's nintendo last week. I have a brain age of 59 – not bad for a 66 year old! But on one of the tests you had to remember a list of four letter words (all clean of course!)nd I could only remember three. I thought I would get a scor of about a hundred!!!

And David, how I sympathise with you trying to remember about your drugs. Isn't it fascinating how you can eventually work round to remembering something if you go the long way round.

Good job we can take some comfort that we all seem to suffer the same way.

All best wishes.

Mavis

eve
    Participant

Hi Everyone
    Yes I can accept some forgetfulness is age related,sorry boys and girls it,s the Chemo,we have lists for every thing you could imagine,and if things are not in hand reaching distance,they are never found again,stands up two steps,then cannot remember why he got up,good job he has not lost his sense of humour,we can at least have a good laugh about it.

I think in time it should get better.loves crosswords sudoku and scrabble,so it all helps,but if Slim does not use modern technology everyday eg; remote controls,he forgets how to use them,must admit GUILT I am not the most patient person,mainly because I spend a long time explaining,how to do it,knowing he will not remember in 2 days,so I have a tendency to take over,which is not the right thing to do,as the saying goes,Do not use it,you will loose it.

In reality you cannot expect,any different,it has,made Slim realise how difficult I find things having a hearing problem,so he now realises when I mis hear thing,or get words mixed up,its not very nice to laugh at some ones disability,laugh with them yes,but not at them .

So David your memory has gone,but your body is still alive and kicking,that,s what counts. love Eve

Perkymite
    Participant

I know exactly what you mean Eve. I have had hearing problems since leaving the forces, in any group it is very trying. I cannot concentrate on what everybody is saying and miss a lot of what is said. Nowadays I try to grasp the core of what is being said and then just nod and smile. I get fed up with keep asking people what they have said, and I am sure they do as well.

I am the technophobe in my family although I have been training my wife on computers to PVRs for the last 2 years. Regrettably she thinks she can just ignore things and they will go away but off course they do not and as I do just about do everything on the internet she is going to HAVE to get on board. I insist she looks at the telephone, gas and electric accounts but it can be hard work. She is now pretty good at internet banking but because I opened up her own account and it is the only way she can get money 😀 – there is a lesson there somewhere;-)

I am glad you both have not lost your humour; Mo and I are the same. I am forever getting to the top of the stairs and then asking why I am there, we have a good laugh. Funny it is only when I have gone back down again that I remember, then I have to go back up. Do you think it is the body just giving me some exercise:-D 😀

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

brocho
    Participant

Hi David you are definitely not alone with the memory problems ! I always had a good memory but since being diagnosed it s gone downhill all the way Sometimes it is so annoying especially when trying to remember names ! As for the going upstairs thing I do that as well nd like you remember very clearly when I have sat down again Still its a small price to pay for being here and at times it has advantages , when I forget something I really dont want to do for example Keep smiling David love Bridget x

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi David,
    I am new to the site, and live in Taunton. My partner Lena has been following your story on the site since I was diagnosed last month, and then we realised that you are local to us. I have posted my story on the newcomers page, and hope to get some replies.
    I keep waking up at night too, maybe the steroids, but I was so fed up lying in bed thinking about things that I was up at 6.00 today and clicking away on the keyboard! >:-(
    Am up at Beacon tomorrow 10.45, so we will keep an eye out for you!
    Regards, Chris

tom
    Participant

Hi you all

I forgot to answer this one he he.

As for me I used to (and am sure it will come back) have a great memory and after noticing that I would forget things I asked My Cancer Nurse (Helen) and she said it is "Chemo Brain" it says it all realy :-S make me better:-D by giving me stuff that makes me forget I was poorly:-0 Cant beat it can we? ha h.

Now lets see what did i write on here:-/

If I havn't said it Good Luckto you all in the memory Dept 😎

Tom "Onwards and Upwards"

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Chris, unfortunately I did not read your post until I had returned from the Beacon Centre. If you want to meet and have a chat Mo and I would be more than happy.

Kindest regards ? vasbyte

David

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Memory loss’ is closed to new replies.