New Need to talk

This topic contains 113 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  tmc 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 114 total)
  • Author

Helen
    Participant

Hi Teresa
    It's good to hear that Peter is dictating the treatment plan, I'm all for autonomy, but it must be so so difficult for those of you who watch and wonder. I can't imagine how I'd feel, if the boot were on the other foot. I think the secret is to try not to worry and enjoy the time as much as possible, my husband is beginning to realise that when I want to go out and do stuff we just do it and don't wait for anyone else to join us, we have a large close family and formerly would always take grandma and grandpa and a few cousins etc if going out, a bit like an army manoeuvre sometimes. Now we are just enjoying time together.:-)
    We go to New Zealand in10 days, I'm hoping my niece has had her baby by then so I will see it 'new'. I've been knitting like a fury for the last few days and produced a very lovely (I think ) jumper that will probably be too warm for it to ever wear. 😀 but it's the thought that counts! English Arran style is so beautiful…. They can just look at the jumper! I'm not packed yet, have clinic a week today then will organise myself. It's very cold here again so no gardening sadly. The flowering cherry is out though and everything is a joyful pink:-D
    Look after yourself
    Love Helen

tmc
    Participant

Hi Helen
    I want your Aran jumper please bring it back for my grandchildren if your neice doesn't want it. I will knit something light for NZ. I have never mastered aran patterns.
    We are a good month 6 weeks ahead of the usual spring here which is a delight I really do not like the cold and snow. I have lettuce seeds and garlic growing and bought carrot seeds today. Usually I have everything under lights in the basementby now but this year I will buy all my plants too much going on.
    It must be so lovely to have an army or relatives around you but when it's time for you to go it's great to be able to just go and not think about any one else. This is your time now and our time,being a bit selfish doesn't even bother us.
    My neighbour has just returned from Auckland and gave me a lamb skin rug which is living on the end of the sofa ontop of Peter's legs to keep him warm. I will have to hid it when the vegans of the family visit!!
    Love Teresa.

Helen
    Participant

Ha ha Teresa , not likely, this jumper is the passport to the baby! Niece has said we all have to knit something before we're allowed to see it. She was joking but we all have taken her seriously and I and all my sisters are competing! 😀 I'll try and attach a photo but I can't do it on the iPad for some reason
    Love Helen

tmc
    Participant

Hi
    So you will be off to NZ next weekend with that lovely jumper in your case maybe the pattern isn't too hard and I can try and knit it while I am sitting around being quiet.

I hope your clinic appointment goes well and you can rush home and pack such excitement.

I am hoping to get down to my son in laws brew pub while my son stays with Peter.
    I am also off to buy all the little plants to put under lights shall I plant some up for you ready for your return?
    This time of year is so beautiful in England. I have seen on the news all the rain and talk about a hose pipe ban such strange weather for you.
    Not sure if I am suppossed to talk about MM on this site or is this chit chat ok?
    Love Teresa.

Helen
    Participant

Hello Teresa
    New photo, very nice. How is Peter? And what will you do at the pub (other than drink:-) ) while you are away?
    I don't know if chit chat is allowed or not! It says you can talk about anything – so i do, after all sometimes a normal sort of conversation is a welcome one when the going gets tough, sometimes too it is easier to relate to the people who are in the same boat than the other people around you.
    Yes a week today I will be on my way, all very exciting, not had more than 4 days holiday together in the last 2 years with all the other excitement in my life recently:-P I'm hoping for some better weather. There is so much water about here, all of it in the wrong place, pity it is either all or nothing. British weather eh! I'll be needing your seedlings indeed, we have had sleet today and the temperature is down to 1 degree tonight. I looked in the greenhouse yesterday and all the runner beans have damped off and there is no sign of the courgettes or french beans at all so we will have to go out and buy plants:-(
    I've still not worked out how to upload pictures from iPad but am working on it! If you email me your address via my profile I can send you the pattern of the little jumper -it is very sweet. Baby now a week late so it will be very little when we get there, jumper will fit for months:-D Hurrah
    Love Helen

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi Helen
    Hope you have a great trip to New Zealand, sounds wonderful

Wendy xx

ps loving the hair!!

Helen
    Participant

Thank you very much Wendy, you wouldn't believe the amount stuff and time it takes to make it stick up like that!!
    probably why my scalp is still so itchy, but hey got to give it a go, am back to work in 8 weeks and need to look convincing:-)
    am now going to try to attach knitwear photo

tmc
    Participant

Hi Helen
    Thanks for liking the photo. I turned greay almost overnight age 55 when both my parents died and my husband was diagnosed, Can't be bothered dyeing it
    At the brew pub funnily enough I won't be drinking beer I don't like it but I will have the food and anything else they offer.The palliative care nurse who visits said I should try and do something for myself not so easy but I went to the market for the seedlings and hope to go to the brew pub, both local so I am not away shame!
    I was so sorry to hear about your plants what a rotten thing, but it must be lovely to habve a green house I only have a cold frame and have everything tucked up for the night. So on your way home from NZ pop in and help yourself.
    I have I think emailed you my address if I haven't I will post it on here next time.
    It would be lovely if you have time between your appointment and packing to receive the pattern.
    Your neice must be so fed up waiting for the baby I do hope it isn't too large.
    I am so happy your are going on vacation but not so happy about you going back to work Please don't get overtired and take plenty of rest days.Your hair is perfect for going back to work or any where else I love the sticking up hair style and the colour is good.
    With sleet and 1 degree you must be so looking forward to next weekend.
    Thank you for asking about Peter, his pain is manageable but I am not going in to all the details it' s sad and we have had 8 years and none of us want to think about the future when it is so limited.
    Have a great week and hope the clinic goes well love Teresa

tmc
    Participant

Hi
    Am I supposed to reply here at the end or at the end of someone's post?
    I seem to have replies for May up in the April date I guess I just don't know what I am doing!

Anyway Andy
    Thank you for your concern it took the wind right out of our sail as well. Do hope you are feeling better? Glad you liked the bellwoods brewery site.

Eve
    how are you and your family? I will think about you especially at the end of the month that is when Slim is having his SCT I thnk?

Dai thank you for the instructions on how to put a pic on here, just the right amount of info , and thank you
    David for telling me where to look.

Love Teresa.

Helen
    Participant

Hi Teresa
    So what colour was it before the sudden grey? I have a friend who did likewise and went from brunette to white at 35, surprising for us all, she too has stayed with it. I'm still undecided, it is temping to do nothing and leave it, but we'll see. I feel I want to go back to work, I wasn't ready to retire when I got ill and still think I have to go back and give it a go. It will be a phased return over some time and I'll just have to see how I get on, I'm eligible to retire now as I'm 57 but I've still not had any word from the pension people yet as to what the projected pension will be and I'm not going to go until I have the facts before me!
    You do have to do things for yourself as your nurse has said, nice things, never refuse an invitation, do all those hand massages and spa sessions you have promised yourself and never got round to, it's one of the things which has kept me going a lot over the last few months. We went out last week with friends whom I've not seen for months and it was quite like old times, I managed to eat, stay awake and not discuss mm for 5 hours, a major achievement. I've also reached a point where if I've no infections, I can almost forget what has happened, a milestone I think. It must be a relief to you both that Peter has his pain under control, I've been lucky:-S I never had much pain, only a bit of upper back pain and it went away after the first lot of chemo to my great relief.
    If only it were possible to drop in on you and pick up a box of plants, what a nice thought. I managed to upload the photo, had to use the mother ship computer as iPad does not have the correct software 🙁 And I have no idea how to upgrade it! The pattern will be scanned tomorrow and I have your address so will send it soon. Still no baby:-)
    Love Helen

andyg
    Participant

Hi Teresa.
    I'm feeling good now thanks. Just got in from a night out with my wife, brother and sister inlaw. I had a few beers, probably the most I've drunk since I was diagnosed.
    I'm not going to comment on hair colour or style since I don't have either lol and that was before chemotherapy took its toll on me.
    My wife and I have a few days away planned for next month, we are going to the lake district for a few days – don't know if you know the area – but it's a lovely place. Hopefully it'll of stopped raining by then and warmed up a bit.
    When you visit the brew pub check out the Belgian beers I know you don't drink them but Belgian beers should be appreciated 😉
    Oops just seen the time 2am guess I should get some sleep. We've got a christening to go to later.

Night night Teresa thinking of you and Peter.

Love Andy xx

Helen
    Participant

Hi Andy
    What do you mean ' not commenting on hair or style' I think we should see what 'used' to be there, in fact all you chaps could do that! Or do you all fancy roles in eastenders:-)
    Love Helen

tmc
    Participant

Hi Helen,
    Hair was dark brown which is odd as my mum and one of my sisters has bright red hair! The only good thing about grey is that younger servers always give me the seniors rate on food and coffee, of course I qualify now but had years of dicounted items.
    I can understand your need to get back to work I certainly didn't have retirement in mind at 55 when I became a career overnight! Such a shock and I missed work, so as long as you take it easy and go when you want all will be well.
    Hand massage foot massage all sounds good one of my sisters gives Indian head massages maybe that would give back my hair colour or give Andy his hair back ha ha no offence intended andy,
    It is so wonderful that you managed to have a normal night out it must have been so good for you, I hope you manage many more. Truly a great milestone to reach.
    Glad my email arived and no hurry with the pattern I know you will be busy this week.
    I will miss our chats when you are on vacation bu look forwad to your return
    Love Teresa.

tmc
    Participant

Hi Andy,
    So glad you are feeling good and enjoyed a night out and as Helen says maybe a before pic would be nice to see what used to be there!
    Glad to read you have a few nights away planned. Yes I sort of know the Lake District we have walked around a bit up there, Windermere, Keswick and Buttermere spring to mind. Since moving away from UK we have explored more of it especially with the children, showng them their roots.
    I do hope it stops raining for you, as well, and you have convinced me to try the beers. My son in law will let me have a little of as many as I want to taste so please tell me which ones so that I can report back. I really am more interested in the food they serve.
    I see you were up early in the morning is that the Dex or is that your normal hour?
    I hope you continue to feel good Love Teresa

Helen
    Participant

Hi Teresa
    That's a very nice even colour for a previous brunette, I confess to not knowing what shade my hair was before I lost it as I'd been colouring it quite merrily for the last 20 years, but I found losing it totally devastating. I was quite surprised to see how grey it is as it has grown in but I'm leaving it like this for a while, see how I feel as it gets longer. My husband went white from red at about 40 and he too has been treated to concessionary rates, our son regularly used to get asked if that was his grandpa with him, much to our amusement.
    I've not had an Indian head massage, I've resisted all the 'cancer' additional therapies offered around here, part of my 'ostrich' approach to this illness which a little bit of me still can't quite believe I have. Probably why I feel I need to give work a try too. What did you do before you retired?
    Love Helen

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘New Need to talk’ is closed to new replies.