Peripheral Neuropathy

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Claudette 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi All,

I came across the an article on the Daily Mail Online today purely by coincidence whilst at work. I have tried to attach it but it is beyond my IT capabilities I am afraid. The article refers to a new treatment for neuropathic pain called Qutenza which is applied as a patch to the afflicted area and apparently is so effective that it reduces the need for the heavy drugs we have to take to alleviate the symptoms of PN.

It is derived from chilli paste and is available on the NHS. Sounds amazing and worth asking the Doctor for/about?

The link is

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2049155/How-chilli-paste-ease-pain.html

Wendy

DaiCro
    Participant

Thanks for that Wendy – it certainly sounds the part and it was interesting that the test case they chose just happened to be connected to the feet. 🙂

I'll certainly mention this to my consultant… in fact I think I'll ring my lead nurse tomorrow and ask her to chase it up. 😎 My life would be totally different if I could get a 50% reduction to my PN, so its certainly worth following up.

Dai.

brocho
    Participant

Hi Wendy thankyou the article was very interesting . I dont have any pn symptoms at the moment but I will certainly mention this treatment next time I am in clinic love Bridget x

eve
    Participant

Hi Wendy

Thanks for the info made a note of it,just in case,Slim does not suffer from PN but,has very heavy legs and twitches as he puts it.I usually read the health column of DM on here every day,must have been a heavy day and forgot.

Glad to see you are doing so well Eve

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Wendy
    my husband has chilli cream from our docter he has some PN in feet and legs from diabeties they were very reluctant to give him as they said it was expensive but when I look it up on the internet it £18 a tube so theymust consider that expensive it make you wonder what the price is of some of the generic drugs they give us I know his diabetic metformin is a 1p a tablet you wonder if they are the best by the way the cream works wonders its called Axsain distributed by a company called Cephalon uk ltd
    Regards Jo

avantromp
    Participant

Hallo all
    I just want to chip in with something I heard last week when attending a regional meeting of MM sufferers (in the Netherlands). When talking about the problems of peripheral neuropathy one person said that for her it had been substantially reduced by taking Lyrica. She has now stopped taking Lyrica And the neuropathy has not returned. Sounds too good to be true.

Perkymite
    Participant

What is Lyrica?

Kindest reagards – Vasbyte

David

tom
    Participant

Hi David take a look at this one
    http://www.lyrica.com/Default.aspx

And thank you Wendy for the article

Tom xx

wendyduffield
    Participant

Just to add to the above, Lyrica is pregablin which I know is quite commonly prescribed for PN.

Belles
    Participant

Hi Wendy

I'm not sure I have the right person, so apologies if I havent, but were you in the MRI a couple of weeks ago, ward 44?

My Mum is currently in there and she mentioned a lady called Wendy who had chatted to her.

Sorry if I've got it wrong.

Kind regards

Belles

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi Belles

I think it must have been another Wendy. I was on ward 44 MRI but that was about two months ago. How is your Mum doing, I have read your posts but didnt realise that she was being treated at the MRI.

Regards

Wendy

Belles
    Participant

Ah sorry, thought it would have been a coincidence.

Mum is ok, her bloods are brilliant (neutrophils 4.36, platelets 50, both white and red cells in range,) but having lots of additional problems failing kidneys (she has 3 stone of fluid!), broken leg and now an infection in her other leg! Along with the expected trots, sickness and fatigue. We just keep hoping it will all sort itself out very soon. She is very strong and determind, bless her.

Its three weeks tomorrow, but feels like three months 🙁

How are you doing? Did you have a SCT too?

Kind regards

Belles

Debs
    Participant

Hi guys
    Just a note to say I was prescribed pregablin or lyrica but my GP wouldn't prescribe it as our local PCT has blacklisted it!! We are in the process of appealing it but as you can imagine it is a long process. I'm doing fairly well on gapapentin and nortriptylin and even trying to get rid of the oromorph which I've become dependent on. But I like the idea of just one tablet that totally wipes out the PN.
    Debs x

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi Belles

yes I had a stem cell transplant (my own cells) at the beginning of September on ward 44. The hospital stay was just over 2 weeks and not as bsd as I thought it was going to be and my recovery has been fairly smooth as well so far. Your mum sounds like a fighter in spite of all the complications and I really hope things do get sorted out as soon as possible and she can go home. How do you/your Mum find the nursing staff? I found them to be really good and helpful.

All the best to your Mum

Wendy

ps I think there might be a member of staff called Wendy!

Jet
    Participant

I don't know if this is of any help whatsoever. I've not done any research or asked a doctor about it. But I was looking at information about Vitamin B and noticed that B12 deficiency can result in Peripheral Neuropathy, so I just wonder if taking B12 might help counteract PN…?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Peripheral Neuropathy’ is closed to new replies.