REVVING UP FOR SCT!

This topic contains 119 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  tom 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • Author

tom
    Participant

Hi Chris and Lena
    Well I hope you are waiting for your drugs now and ready packed. Dont forget to get some Anti Sick Tabs as I needed them for a month or two after SCT :-/
    Take care when you get home now is when the healing starts stay away from infections and you might (i did) need some sleapy pills also.

Vickie and Colin
    It wont be long now I know it must be hard to hear some leaving hospital sooner but it wont be long av got my fingers crossed 🙂

Ann and Pete
    Ye 16 days is good but I still lost My Xmas and new year Ha ha home dunt mean better as I still needed the Anti Sick Tabs and stil hated the smell of cooking.
    Hope Peter is soon in sorted.

Love to you al

Tom "Onwards and upwards" xx

kaytee91
    Participant

Hello Chris, I hope your recovery is going well 😀
    My father will be going for his SCT in Jan (hopefully) despite his pps being reluctant to drop much since 20! (although they did start at 66!). You seem like a man who likes to work with his hands (much like my father who is always playing with motorbikes and following other mechanical ventures)and was wondering if you have any tips for keeping the bordem at bay during the month or so he will be in hospital.
    He hasn't actually had a day off work so far and I think the time he will have to spend in hospital, and the recovery time afterwards, has upset him more than the initial diagnosis!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😀
    Thanks, Katie.

Vicki
    Participant

Hi chris,

Just tuning in, I really hope you are on your way home, if not already there! It will be so great for you, and hope that you can really enjoy the time catching up with home and being I familiar surroundings!

Colins bloods are good and he is seemingly a little better with the pain, although drugged up.

Good luck and keep up posted on the recovery.

Katie,

My Colin who has just had his SCT, and hopefully home some time this next week, is the worst person to keep occupied. He gets bored so easily! When he came in for SCT we took in iPad, kindle, mini DVD player, mobile phone. To be honest after about the first day when he used the DVD player he's just used his mobile and had the telly on in the background. He either felt too rough or too tired to be bothered with any of it!. He's not home yet so not sure how to keep him occupied, other than walking a bit and building up strength. Best wishes to your dad and hope all goes well x

bikerchris
    Participant

HI team and thanks for all your kind words, it is so thoughtful of you!
    It has been one of my best days of this year being back home, I lit a fire in the sitting room, and have been keeping warm in from of the cosy flames messing about with coal and wood – the doctors would love me!
    It was very strange going out into the fresh air today – cap firmly on my (once again) bald head, although my son kindly said that it suited me ok! Bless him!
    NP's still only 0.3 today, so I have to go back on Monday for a blood test and to give me the once over. Because I am still low, I am not allowed outside, shame because there is loads to do in the garden, so I have been giving Lena jobs instead! 😀
    I have some shooting arm pain like Colin, in the upper arms too, and I have to be careful not to suddenly reach out for things (chocolates, beer etc!).
    Things taste so much better at home, I stopped the anti sick tabs yesterday, and have had tea coffee, lovely chicken dinner which Lena cooked, and even a glass of beer, so far so good!
    Katie, I will reply tomorrow when I have a bit more time, but I have lots of ideas for your Dad, depending on how sociable he is!
    Pete, get room 7, it's a lucky one, and Barry Sheene's riding number too!! 🙂
    God Bless everyone,
    Chris (looking forward to own bed and cuddling up with Lena – apologies if 'too much information 😉 !)

eve
    Participant

Hi Chris

Sounds if you are doing wonderful,a glass of beer!!!!!!!!!!:-P Slim cannot even look at beer,every now and then he has a sip of my wine,and pulls a face.I am saving thousands of pounds;-)

Please look after yourself this period is so easy to mess up,Love Eve

Helen
    Participant

Wow Chris
    Doing well, eating and drinking 🙂 make the most of it, back numbers of old Dallas to watch? congrats on getting out.
    Love Helen

kaytee91
    Participant

Thank you Chris and Vicki 😀
    He is fairly sociable, but not so much with people he doesn't know too well, although since diagnosis he has been much more open.
    Very pleased I joined this group everyone is so warm & helpful.
    Good luck all, whatever part of our journey you are on 😀

bikerchris
    Participant

HI Katie,

I said I would give more thought to what your Dad may do during his stay. Everone reacts differently to the treatment, and he will be very tired and not feeling much like eating. I found I could do a few e-mails or see a visitor, and then most afternoons I slept a bit, and I found I didn't sleep well at night as the nurses do wake you every 4 hours for obs. I ended up asking for breakfast at 10.00, as I kept falling back to sleep and it was going cold! Then I could watch Homes under the hammer and the news!
    I was well enough to have visitors,which brightened up the days even if they didn't stay too long! and it was nicer once I was in my own room and I could get more organized. I made a lot of phone calls to friends, and my wife came in with ready meals, better than the hospital food.
    The Laptop was a godsend, so make sure there is WiFi, as there isn't always.
    It was nice putting posts on facebook and this site, and I am into antiques, so I did some bidding at auction, and eBay (wife threatened to confiscate Laptop!).
    I managed to do a bit of work too, a few e-mails and phone calls, and signed a few things, as I am self employed, and still have to keep things going.
    Watched a couple of DVD's but to be honest prefered TV which is a bit more company, and got into a few serials. I also read a couple of good books which I rarely have the time to do which is good if you can't sleep!
    I hope that's some help, time passes faster than you would think,the staff are always fantastic and tend to chat to you, and I wish him the very best with his treatment,
    Chris

kaytee91
    Participant

Thank you Chris, very informative! I really appreciate some first hand advice, it is very comforting. Will definitely check for wi-fi & get him up to speed on the techy stuff he needs.
    Hope you are doing well, and continue to do so 🙂

Ali
    Participant

Hi Chris

You have done so well, fantastic that you are home and seem in such good spirits. Dallas, well I didn't expect her to be ken Barnes daughter did you?. Keep taking it easy though.

Love Ali x

bikerchris
    Participant

HI Katie,
    Glad to help, and yes I'm doing fine. Get your Dad to start a new blog, and we will all chip in to keep his spirits up! It sounds like he is an active bloke, and it really helps to look ahead and plan what you're going to do once you are better again.
    Chris

bikerchris
    Participant

HI Ali, thanks and yes it's terrific to be at home, so much to do, but I am just enjoying being here with the family.
    The end of Dallas was just great, I just LOL'd when old Cliff Barnes appeared, really wasn't expecting that one, and the next series should be just as good from the look of it! One of the hospital staff was into it, and we couldn't wait to talk about it the following day, she even delayed seeing Skyfall to see the final episode 😀
    Now catching up on the whole last series of Downton Abbey which is on the Sky+ 🙂 .
    Hope you are well, thanks for keeping in touch,
    Chris and Lena x

kaytee91
    Participant

Good idea, that will keep him busy, although he is a man of few words. Yes is trying to keep active (despite nerve damage which is stopping his diaphragm and one lung working properly). I think he's planning on continuing his 20 year long project of finishing our house when he's well, so I'll make sure he's got lots of catalogues and blueprints to keep him busy too!

Vicki
    Participant

Chris,

Wonderful news, so glad you've got home, even enjoying a roast and a beer. That's great going :-). It must be great to enjoy just being at home. After all this the simple things seems so important don't they. I can't wait for Colin to be home…..hopefully sometime this week.

The neutrophil score is now the real score, not boosted by gcsf, they stopped those. He is now just 0.41 which they class as neutropenic. So we are told if al goes well might be home later this week. That's when the real recovery starts, like you 🙂

Best of luck to you and Lena, keep us posted x

Vicki and Colin x

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well, even drinking beer:-) I wanted to thank you for sharing your transplant journey as my husband Phil will be embarking on his own stem cell transplant in a month and it has helped us to prepare reading your posts. Phil may not be able to beat Tom's 16 days in hospital (he will try though) but he will be more than happy if he is drinking beer when he gets home 😀

Megan

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘REVVING UP FOR SCT!’ is closed to new replies.