Second anniversary visit to haematology

This topic contains 43 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Helen 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Helen
    Participant

Well, 2 years ago today I started the investigations into my slowly developing anaemia.
    4 years of gradually dropping haemoglobin levels had led the National Blood Service to ban me from being a blood donor ever again, so I went to haematology. I remember looking at all the cancer literature and thinking ' how ridiculous' I shouldn't be here, what a frightening place! How naive I was:-/
    I faced Christmas 2010 knowing I had something wrong, but not what. It was the scariest time and I wondered how many Christmases I had left!:-(
    Christmas 2011, I was 4 months post SCT, quite ill and pretty low in mood…. :-/
    Now, 16 months post SCT, apparently I'm in 'fantastic shape' and 'really good remission' on the 'Revlimid maintenance for a full year' according to the Prof this morning! What a charmer he is!! 🙂
    I'm still coughing a bit from the dreadful whooping cough, but better again, still improving really. So… . to all those of you who are currently on the SCT band wagon good luck over this Christmas and I hope you have a relaxed and germ free new year.
    Love Helen

jmsmyth
    Participant

Great news Helen and hope that da*n cough goes. Have a great Christmas and New Year

Love Jean x

meganjane
    Participant

That is great news Helen 🙂 Thank you for sharing, I love hearing the good news, it give me hope for a healthy 2013 for my husband Phil.

Fingers crossed the cough goes away soon!

Megan

Helen
    Participant

Thanks very much Jean and Megan, some times it feels a bit mean talking about good news when there are so many others just coming to terms with the diagnosis, treatment or relapse. But I suppose we should be balanced, and remission is what we all hope for, for as long as possible. I went to see The Hobbit tonight and need to see the next 2 episodes in 2013 and 2014, so, another 2 things on the 'to do' list 🙂 it was really weird to know that we had been on the actual Hobbiton set in June this year on our New Zealand trip.
    And Jean, that back and chest pain that Frank is getting, I really remember it!!! I felt terrible, as though my ribs were being pulled away from my chest and springing back, every time I moved. I looked and acted like an old lady! Today …… I was told I looked and moved like a 45 year old, so hurrah, a new lease of life. Hope Frank is more like his old self between times.
    Love Helen

jmsmyth
    Participant

Thanks Helen and boy do I wish I looked 45. I can but dream. One of our sons Robert took me to the cinema tonight to see the new bond movie really enjoyed it can't remember the last time I was at movies what I did enjoy as well was the looks I was getting being with "a toy boy" 😉

Tomorrow is D day bye will be so relieved for the pain to go.

Take care
    Love Jean

Helen
    Participant

Dear Jean
    You don't look a day over 45 yourself, and I'd have just flaunted a toy boy if I had one, or pretended !! Hmm now I come to think of it I married a younger man any way…….. I enjoyed the Bond movie very much, better than the last one.
    Love Helen

Ali
    Participant

Hi Helen

Nice to hear from you. Look how far you have come in those two years. Crikey, who would have thought. I'm pleased to hear the cough has much improved, didn't someone say to you that it would be gone by Christmas? Well its not got long now to properly do one!

As you know, my mum is 1 year behind you Helen, just wanted to thankyou for all your comments and advise, you have been wonderful. So, I shall take this opportunity to wish you and your toyboy, oops sorry husband and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2013.

Much love

Ali and mum Margaret xx

andyg
    Participant

Hi Helen
    Good news that you've reached the second anniversary and everything is going well. If only you could get rid of the last of your cough.
    I had to read your second post twice, I thought you were calling the Prof. A hobbit lol 😎 I blame it on the steroids I'm on!

We hope you have a good Christmas and a happy new year Helen

Lots of love Andy & Steph xx

sandydeli
    Participant

Hi Helen glad to hear your news I think I'm a year behind you and I'm feeling good !!! Think I'm under the same prof Mr. Jackson ??? And yes he is a charmer.
    Hope your caugh disappear's soon and you have a great Xmas and new year xxx
    All the best Sandra x

HelenR
    Participant

Happy Anniversary from one Helen to another! Great name by the way 🙂

Thanks loads for posting, it does really help as a newbie on here to hear good news. Hooray for another milestone! And I don't know how you've managed to put up with the whooping cough for so long, you must be a real trooper. I've been at home for a week with a cold and conjunctivitis and even that's really got me down – I've just been to the GP and got antibiotics so fingers crossed for a germ-free start to 2013. It's also great to hear that you've been off to New Zealand etc – I've lived and worked overseas a lot for my job and get quite discouraged if I think that MM means no more going anywhere… but it sounds like things are still possible!

I know what you mean about feeling weird posting it… I've had a really good response to treatment but am always conscious that things are at very different stages or happen slower for some people so it can feel insenstive to be shouting it from the rooftops. But my personal celebration as of last week is that having had a stupid plastic tube coming out of my chest for 6 months I had my Hickman line taken out – woohoo! Just a few stitches to fall out and I should start 2013 looking more like a person and less like a patient… just a bit skinhead, or the 'pixie' look as my friends very kindly keep telling me!!

It must feel very emotional having it all so close to Xmas each year. My equivalent day of going into hospital was my birthday, May 30th, so I'll have to find a way to get my head around it in a good way as I don't want myeloma stealing my birthday on top of everything else!

Take care,
    Helen x

Perkymite
    Participant

Real good news Helen I am so pleased for you, with regard to feeling guilty about posting good news. Please do so more often 😉 😀 . I am sure it gives people starting out on this road a lift not depresses them. Have a great Christmas and a happy happy new year.

Kindest regards ? vasbyte

David

p.s. My 3 month appointment is on the 21st Dec at the Beacon Centre Taunton, almost 2 years from when I was let out of hospital after my SCT.8-)

Michele
    Participant

Great news Helen.
    Your posts are similar to mine (fortunately) more positive and upbeat. Please don't feel guilty about good news. I think it's important for us to tell of good news. As you say it balances out the not so good news and hopefully encourages those on the road behind us.

Remember, we were the frightened, poorly ones once and have done our first grind through the mill.
    Let's hope all our friends on here go "onwards and upwards" in 2013!
    🙂

tom
    Participant

Great News Helen and a Very Well Done 😀 and am sure you will keep it going.

And trust me folks on this thread (so far) you all look 40 ((ish)) am sure we all have old photo's posted Lol.

Just like to say Helen and all others I for one am pleased to see the "Good News" posted rather than just all bad news, it helps me and am sure it does help others that are going through or building up to SCT it tells everbody it can be done, so keep posting the good news also 😀

Love to all you Young Looking Folk 😎

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

HelenR
    Participant

Ooh, watch it Tom, I'm 33 – might be worried about looking 40! ;-D
    Only joking… thanks loads for all your cheery posts. I don't write often but I've read lots of them.
    Onwards and Upwards into 2013 and beyond! 😉
    Helen

BADGER
    Participant

Great news

have a happy christmas you can relax now
    Regards Jo x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Second anniversary visit to haematology’ is closed to new replies.